This is a Virtual Lab that combines the following Products:
- GNS3 VM Server (Graphical Network Simulator 3) version 2.0.3 (latest version!)
- Cisco VIRL Server (Virtual Internet Routing Lab) version 1.2.83
This Virtual Lab can be used for CCNA, CCNP and even CCIE training!
It is built using an Ultra Quiet Dell R610 Server with 32 GB RAM and a 500GB HD
This Server uses Virtualization Technology based on VMware ESXi Hypervisor Software (Raw Metal Virtualization Operating System)
This Virtual Lab can emulate physical Routers, Switches and even ASA (Security) Devices.
The only Limitations of a Virtual Lab, when compared to a Physical Lab are:
- Limited emulation of Serial Interfaces - Unable to emulate Layer 3 Switches (only Layer 2 are included)
On the other hand, a GNS3 Virtual Lab supports multiple types devices, so you can gain exposure to many more technologies!
These are the main features of this Virtual Lab:
- 2 x Quad Core Processors (Xeon X5550 or higher)
- 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces - 1 x Dell Keyboard (no Monitor included)
- 32 GB RAM (can be upgraded to 96 GB RAM)
- 500 GB Hard Drive - Operating System: VMware ESXi 6.0 Raw Metal Virtualization OS.
The Server includes the following VM's (Virtual Machines):
- GNS3 VM Server (Graphical Network Simulator 3) version 2.0.3 - Cisco VIRL Server (Virtual Internet Routing Lab) version 1.2.83 - Windows 2012 Server (a separate VM within ESXi)
Please notice that VIRL hasn't been activated (Software only).
In order to activate and use VIRL you need to purchase a VIRL License from Cisco.
But the GNS3 Server is fully configured & ready to use!
You will only need to install the
GNS3 GUI/Client Software on a separate PC.
- Server's RAM can be upgraded to 48GB, 64GB or 96GB. - Hard Drive Upgrade to 1TB (single 1TB Hard Drive)
- Hard Drive can also be upgraded to a RAID 5: Array of up 6 smaller Drives (150GB each)
- For instance 6 x 150GB Drives yield a total of 900GB (actual usable space would be only 750GB)
GNS3 is a Free, Open Source Software that can be used to simulate complex networks.
GNS3 doesn't require any Licensing (it is totally Free), so you can use this Virtual Lab right away!
These are some other important GNS3 features:
- It supports Standard IOS and VIRL IOS Images - Cisco Images are not included in the Server. They must be installed in the Client Software.
- It doesn't support IOS 15.x for most Virtual Devices (only IOS 12.4 is supported)
- Support for IOS 15.x is provided by using VIRL Images (IOSv, IOSvL2 & IOS XEv)
Bonus Software and Training Materials:
This item includes a Disk (DVD) with the following Software and Training Materials:
- VMware vSphere 6.0 Client Software - VMware ESXi 6.0 Operating System Installation Files (ISO CD Image)
- mRemoteNG Connections Manager (provides Telnet/SSH access to the virtual devices)
- GNS3 & GUI/Client Software (it must be installed in a separate computer)
- VIRL Maestro Client Software (it must be installed in a separate computer)
- Training Videos Materials (Videos about the installation, configuration and use of GNS3)
This Server has been fully tested! Therefore, it is guaranteed to work!
Usually we need 1-2 business days to configure and test this Virtual Lab.