This is a Network Simulation Lab that includes the following Virtual Machines (VM's):
- EVE-NG Server (Emulated Virtual Environment-Next Generation) 2.0.3-112 Community Edition
- Cisco CML-2 Server (Cisco Modeling Labs) ver. 2.2.3 (latest version)
This Lab is built using a Dell R620 Server with 128GB RAM + 1TB SSD Drive
The Dell R620 is a Very Powerful Server with 2 x Hex-Core Processors (Xeon E5-2620).
Hex-Core Processors have 12 vCPU's. Therefore, this Server has a total of 24 vCPU's
To implement the VM's the Server runs VMware ESXi Server 6.5 with a Permanent License.
EVE-NG Comm. Edition is a Free Network Simulation Software that doesn't need a License.
CML instead, is Licensed Product from Cisco that does need a License.
This Server doesn't include a CML License, but it can be easily added to the installed Software.
In addition to EVE-NG and CML, this Server also includes the following VM's:
- Windows 2019 Server (with 180-Day Demo License)
- Ubuntu Desktop ver 20.04.2
- Ubuntu Server ver 20.04.2
Ubuntu is also a Free Software Product that doesn't need a License.
This Virtual Lab can be used for CCNA, CCNP and even CCIE training!
These are the main features of the Server used to build this Lab:
- 2 x Hex-Core Processors (Xeon E5-2620 or higher)
- 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces
- 32GB RAM
- 500GB Hard Drive
- Operating System: VMware ESXi 6.5 Raw Metal Virtualization OS.
Note: Please notice that you'll need a Monitor and a Keyboard to operate the Server.
The Server can be managed either through a simple Web Browser (any Browser) or through the vSphere Client Software.
EVE-NG vs CML-2:
- EVE-NG Comm. is a Free, Open Source Software used to simulate complex networks
- CML is Cisco Licensed Software that can also be used to simulate complex networks
- CML provides a Cisco-only environment, but EVE-NG is NOT limited to Cisco Devices!
- EVE-NG provides a Multi-vendor environment!
That is, it allows you to emulate complex Networks with all kinds of Network Devices!
- Please also notice that the item price doesn't include the License for CML-2
Important Note about the CML-2 License:
- Licenses for CML-2 are sold by Cisco for $200 for a 1-Year Period
Client Software NOT needed:
CML-2 and EVE-NG are VM's that run on the Physical Dell Server.
But these are just Back-End Processes that don't have a User Interface!
To actually use these VM's you'll need a separate computer that will become the Client PC
And the Client PC can simply use a Web Browser to connect to these Server Processes
You won't need to install any special Software; your Web Browser will be the User Interface!
A Web Browser can also be used to manage ESXi. Typical Management tasks include:
Power up/Power down VM's, Assign VLAN's and Network Ports to the VM's, etc.
The ESXi Server can be managed using another special Software known as the vSphere Client,
which of course must also be installed in the Client PC
EVE-NG Main Features:
These are the Virtual Devices already implemented in our EVE-NG Server:
- IOSv Router version 15.9.3
- XRv Router version 6.3.1
- XRv-9K Router version 7.2.1
- CSR1000v SD-WAN Router with IOS XE version Amsterdam 17.3.2
- ASAv Firewall version 9.14.1
- NX-OSv9K Nexus Switch version 9.2.4
- Layer-2 Switch with IOSv-L2 version 15.2
You can create multiple instances of these Virtual Devices, which are fully setup and ready to use!
You can implement other Virtual Devices, provided that you upload the proper IOS Image for them.
- Server's RAM can be upgraded to 64GB or 128GB (up from 32GB)
- HD can also be upgraded to SSD (500GB or 1TB SSD Drive to replace the standard one)
This Server has been fully tested! Therefore, it is guaranteed to work!
Usually we need 2-3 business days to configure and test this Virtual Lab.