This is a Dell R620 Server that implements a Virtual Modeling Lab with the following Products:
- Cisco CML Server (Cisco Modeling Labs) version 2.1.2 (latest version)
- Cisco VIRL Server (Virtual Internet Routing Lab) version 1.6.67 (latest version as of Aug/2020)
- EVE-NG Server (Emulated Virtual Environment-Next Generation) 2.0.3-112 Community Edition
This is the Community Edition (free version), not the Pro version, which requires a License
The Dell R620 is very quiet Server that comes with 128GB RAM and a 500GB HD
Since this Server has 128GB RAM, it is capable of supporting SD-WAN!
That is, it includes all the Network Nodes needed to emulate a Viptela SD-WAN Network
This includes the SD-WAN Controllers, also known as Control Plane Components: - vBond
And the WAN Edge Nodes, also known as the Data or Forwarding Plane Devices: - vEdge
All components are configured as independent Virtual Machines (VM) running on ESXi Server 6.5
This Virtual Lab can be used for CCNA, CCNP and even CCIE training!
These are the main features of the Server used to build this Lab:
- 2 x Quad-Core Processors (Xeon E5-2609 or higher)
- 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces - 128GB RAM - 500GB Hard Drive - Operating System: VMware ESXi 6.5 Raw Metal Virtualization OS.
Note: Please notice that you'll need a Monitor and a Keyboard to operate the Server.
The Server can be managed either through a simple Web Browser (any Browser) or through the vSphere Client Software.
EVE-NG vs CML-2:
- EVE-NG Comm. is a Free, Open Source Software used to simulate complex networks
- CML & VIRL are Cisco Licensed Software that can also be used to simulate complex networks
- CML provides a Cisco-only environment, but EVE-NG is NOT limited to Cisco Devices!
- EVE-NG provides a Multi-vendor environment!   That is, it allows you to emulate complex Networks with all kinds of Network Devices!
- Please also notice that the item price doesn't include the License for CML-2/VIRL
Important Note about the CML/VIRL License:
- Licenses for CML & VIRL (same License for both) is sold by Cisco for $200 for a 1-Year Period
- If needed, we can buy and install a CML/VIRL License for you. We'll bill you the proper cost.
- We can also buy and install a EVE-NG Pro License for you
Client Software NOT needed:
VIRL, CML-2 and EVE-NG are VM's that run on the Physical Dell Server.
But these are just Back-End Processes that don't have a User Interface!
To actually use these VM's you'll need a separate computer that will become the Client PC
And the Client PC can simply use a Web Browser to connect to these Server Processes
You won't need to install any special Software; your Web Browser will be the User Interface!
The only exception is the VIRL VM, which does need a special Client Software in the Client PC.
This special Software is called VM Maestro Client Software
A Web Browser can also be used to manage ESXi. Typical Management tasks include:
Power up/Power down VM's, Assign VLAN's and Network Ports to the VM's, etc.
The ESXi Server can be managed using another special Software known as the vSphere Client, which of course must also be installed in the Client PC
- Hard Drive Upgrade to RAID-5 Array: 3 or more Hard Drives to provide HD Redundancy! - HD can also be upgraded to SSD (500GB or 1TB SSD Drive to replace the standard one)
EVE-NG Main Features:
These are the Virtual Devices already implemented in our EVE-NG Server:
- IOSv Router version 15.9.3 - XRv Router version 6.3.1 - XRv-9K Router version 7.2.1 - CSR1000v SD-WAN Router with IOS XE version Amsterdam 17.3.2
- ASAv Firewall version 9.14.1 - NX-OSv9K Nexus Switch version 9.2.4 - Layer-2 Switch with IOSv-L2 version 15.2
You can create multiple instances of these Virtual Devices, which are fully setup and ready to use!
You can implement other Virtual Devices, provided that you upload the proper IOS Image for them.
This Server has been fully tested! Therefore, it is guaranteed to work!
Usually we need 2-3 business days to configure and test this Virtual Lab.